Article 1: General Bylaws
Section 1 - Name
The name of this organization shall be The Korean Archaeological Society.
Section 2 - Objective
The objective of this Society shall be to contribute to the development of archaeology.
Section 3 - Initiatives
The objective of this Society shall be fulfilled by means of:
1. The hosting of society conferences
2. The publication of ' The Journal of the Korean Archaeological Society '
3. The protection and conservation of cultural heritage resources
4. The promotion of other relevant initiatives
Section 4 - Membership
• Membership is open to any person or institution which subscribes to the society's aim and pays the annual dues. Membership shall consist of the following categories: Colleague Member, General Member, Student Member, Honorary Member, Special Member.
• A Colleague Member is any person who has published an article in a Korean or non-Korean archaeology journal, and has been nominated by the Peer Committee.
• A General Member is any person, institution or group who is not a Colleague Member or Student Member.
• A Student Member is any person who is a university student
• An Honorary Member is any member recommended by the Peer Committee and confirmed through the General Meeting as having contributed to the development of the society.
• A Special Member is any person or institution recommended by the Peer Committee as having contributed to the development of the Society.
Section 5 - Disciplinary Measures
The Peer Committee may suspend or terminate the membership of any member whose acts are contrary to the ideals and accepted standards of the Society as set forth in these Bylaws.
Article 2: Structure and Organization
Section 6 - Structure
This Society shall have a General Committee, Peer Committee, Executive Committee and Editorial Committee. Other sub-committees shall be formed if needed.
Section 7 - General Committee Meeting
1. General Committee Meetings shall consist of Annual General Committee Meetings and Special General Committee Meetings.
2. A General Committee Meeting may be called by the President or Peer Committee.
3. The General Committee shall be presented with and ratify the Accounts of the Society, the Treasurer's Report, and Amendments to Society Bylaws as voted upon by the Peer Committee.
4. The General Committee shall ratify the nominations for Society President, Peer Members and Auditor as elected by the Peer Committee. However, the General Committee may deny the ratification of officer nominees, in which case the Peer Committee will be required to elect an alternative nominee, or a new nominee will be elected by the General Committee.
Section 8 - Peer Committee Meeting
• The Peer Committee shall be composed of approximately twenty Peer Members.
• A quorum shall consist of a third of the members of the Peer Committee.
• The Peer Committee shall deliberate and vote upon the following:
1. The Amendment of Society Bylaws.
2. The Nomination of Associate Members, Honorary Members, Society President, Peer Committee Members and Auditor.
3. The Accounts of the Society and Treasurer's Report.
4. Matters pertaining to the Society Operational Rules.
Section 9 - Executive Committee Meeting
• The Executive Committee shall be composed of approximately seven members, including the President and the following officers elected by the President: the Secretary, the Events Officer, the Publications Officer, and the Information Officer. An Under-Secretary shall oversee additional duties of the Executive Committee.
• The Executive Committee shall execute the policies deliberated and voted upon by the Peer Committee, and supervise and control the affairs of the Society.
• The Secretary shall oversee the general management of the Society.
• The Events Officer shall oversee the planning of the Annual Conference of the Korean Archaeological Society, in addition to other events and academic conferences.
• The Publications Officer shall ensure that appropriate procedures are carried out in the publication of the Society Journal and may be aided by a Publications Under-Secretary.
• The Information Officer shall oversee the management of academic resources.
Section 10 - Editorial Committee Meeting
The Editorial Committee shall oversee the publication of the Society Journal. The Committee shall be organized according to the Operational Rules
Section 11 - Sub-committees
Sub-committees may be appointed by the President, and its activities shall be presented to the Peer Committee.
Section 12 - Officers
• The President shall be the presiding officer of the Society and Chairperson of the General Committee Meeting (as well as other committee meetings). The post of the President may be held for two years.
• Peer Members shall oversee the activities stated in Section 7. The post of Peer Member may be held for two years, with the proviso that in each year, half of the Peer Member posts are held by Members who have not served in this capacity the previous year.
• The Auditor shall attend Peer Committee Meetings and present the General Committee Meeting with an audit of the Society's activities and finances. The post of Auditor may be held for two years.
• Elected officers shall take office on the first of January.
• In the event of the death of any officer, the Peer Committee shall have the power to elect a Nominee Officer who shall be approved by the General Committee. If the remaining term of the predecessor is less than one year, the newly appointed officer will, upon fulfilling the remainder of the predecessor's term, hold the post for an additional full term of two years. If the remaining term of the predecessor is more than one year, the newly appointed officer will hold the post for the duration of the predecessor's term.
Section 13 - Voting
• At the General Committee Meeting, only attending Associate Members will have the right to vote. A majority of votes are needed to pass a motion.
• At the Peer Committee Meeting, a quorum shall consist of half of Peer Members, and the vote shall be passed by no less than two thirds of the vote.
Article 3: Publications
Section 14 - Publications
• The Society shall publish a quarterly journal (March, June, September, December) to be known as 'The Journal of the Korean Archaeological Society ( Hanguk Koko-Hakbo )'.
• The Society may publish other publications which are deemed to contribute to the development of archaeology.
• The copyright of all publications shall be held by the Society.
Section 15 - The Selection Process for Articles Submitted to the Society Journal and Other Publications
• The policy of the Society is to publish papers written by its members which may contribute to the development of archaeology.
• Papers published by the Society are selected by the Editorial Committee.
• The criteria and procedures for the selection of papers published by the Society are set out in the Operational Rules.
Article 4: Financing
Section 16 - Working Fund
The income from annual dues and other sources shall constitute the Working Fund of the Society.
Section 17 - Fiscal Year
The fiscal year of the Society shall commence on the first of January
Article 5: Outgoing Expenses
Section 18 - Operational Rules
Society procedures not addressed in these Society Bylaws shall follow the Society Operational Rules
Section 19 - Supplementary Matters
Society procedures not addressed in these Society Bylaws shall follow conventional wisdom
1. Society Bylaws shall come into effect from Aug. 28, 1976
2. Revised Society Bylaws shall come into effect from May 27, 1989
3. Revised Society Bylaws shall come into effect from Jan. 1, 1996
4. Revised Society Bylaws shall come into effect from Nov. 8, 1998
5. Revised Society Bylaws shall come into effect from Nov. 5, 2000
6. Revised Society Bylaws shall come into effect from Nov. 2, 2001
7. Revised Society Bylaws shall come into effect from June 1, 2002
8. Revised Society Bylaws shall come into effect from May 30, 2004
9. Revised Society Bylaws shall come into effect from Nov. 6, 2004
10. Revised Society Bylaws shall come into effect from Jan. 1, 2006
11. Revised Society Bylaws shall come into effect from May 27, 2006